The Peacock Inn on Kay Street dated back to the 1840s. William Fletcher is listed as the licensee on the 1849 listing of Little Bolton beerhouses. Fletcher was a blacksmith according to the 1841 census and was already living on Kay Street. It may well have been that, like so many beerhouses that sprang up at the time, he converted one room of his dwelling into licensed premises.
William Fletcher ran the Peacock until around 1870 when the pub was taken over by his son James. However, James lasted only a few years and by 1876 the Peacock was being run by Samuel Davenport, formerly a cooper in nearby Charles Street.
By 1891 the pub was in the hands of Thomas Witter, formerly the landlord of the Nightingale on Lever Street. When he died in 1891 the pub was bought by the Bolton brewery of J Atkinson and Sons in the 1890s. Atkinson’s were bought out by Boardman’s United Breweries in 1895 and it became a Cornbrook pub when they took over Boardman’s in 1898.
The Peacock closed in 1911. By 1924 it was a common lodging house run by Mrs Annie King. The building was demolished when Kay Street was widened in 1959. The St Peters Way extension (built 1987) now occupies the site.