|The former Black Dog pub pictured in August 2015 (copyright Google Street View)|
The Black Dog was situated at 82 Halliwell Road, a stone building that still stands today.
Ellis Howarth lived at the house in 1851 along with his wife Ellen, four children and a lodger. Howarth had only recently left the Bulls Head in Farnworth and he was at the Crown and Cushion in the mid-1840s. He decided to turn his house into licensed premises so he spent two guineas on the necessary licence to open a beerhouse and the Black Dog was in business. The Howarths remained at the pub until Ellis died in 1873.
James Patterson was at the Black Dog for over a decade from the early part of the 1890s. James was a cotton spinner living in Darbishire Street in 1891 and had moved to the pub by 1894. He was later at the Stanley Arms on Egyptian Street.
By the 1920s the landlord was Ernest Rycroft whose parents had run the Cotton Tree on Lever Street.
The pub was later sold to Magee’s and it became a Greenall’s pub when they took over Magee’s in 1958.
The Black Dog closed in 1984. Any reminiscences of the pub from the sixties to the eighties always point out that it was very popular with darts players.
The building is now used by the nearby Noor al Islam mosque.
A photo of the side of the Black Dog taken in the 1950s. Note Moorlands Mill on other side of the road.
An image taken from the same position - Prospect Street - in August 2015 (copyright Google Street View).