The Premier Arms was another example of a corner shop making the transition into a beerhouse. The first mention of the pub is in the 1871 Bolton Directory. By then it had just become licensed premises, though in the census return of that year landlord James Richardson is described as a provision dealer. Presumably that was his main line of business. James Richardson remained at the Premier Arms until his death in 1886.
The Premier was bought by the Bromley Cross brewery Hamers. But it was in the tough district of Little Bolton bounded by Folds Road, Kay Street and Turton Street – a particularly well-pubbed area of the town.
Hamer’s closed the Premier Arms in 1920 and by 1924 it was back in use as retail premises of sorts. Instead of being a shop it was a fish and chip shop with John Millington the proprietor. It remained as such until its demolition in the 1960s.