The Oliver Cromwell was situated on Bridgeman Street, on the corner of York Street and Back Coe Street, neither of which are still in existence. The Sir Sidney Smith was just a few doors away until its closure in 1934.
The Oliver Cromwell arrived later than many of its neighbours. The explosion of pubs in the Bridgeman Street and Lever Street areas during the middle of the nineteenth century was largely over by the time it opened for business towards the end of the century.
The Oliver Cromwell was owned by the local firm of Magee’s, but when the area between Bridgeman Street and Lever Street began to be cleared in the late-fifties Magee’s saw an opportunity. The fate of the Oliver Cromwell and a nearby pub, the Peels Arms on Sidney street, had already been sealed and the two pubs were due for demolition. But Magee’s – recently taken over by Greenall Whitley - were building a new pub, the Morris Dancers on the corner of Sapling Road and Morris Green Lane.
The brewery did a deal with the licensing magistrates whereby the licences for the doomed Oliver Cromwell and Peels Arms were surrendered and a full licence obtained for the Morris Dancers.
The Oliver Cromwell closed in 1962. The building was demolished shortly afterwards.
Bridgeman Street pictured in September 2014 (copyright Google Street View). The Oliver Cromwell was situated on the right-hand side at the bend in the road and opposite the entry to Lecturers Closes on the left.