The Church Hotel photographed in March 2011. Copyright Lost Pubs Of Bolton.
The Church Hotel was situated on Crook Street at the junction of Moncrieffe Street and was built in the 1830s, soon after the consecration of the nearby Holy Trinity Church.
It became a Tong’s pub late in the nineteenth century before being one of 21 pubs taken over by Walkers of Warrington when they bought out Tong’s in 1923. It became a Tetley pub in 1960. 
During the seventies the Church gained a reputation for its live entertainment. At that point cabaret artists were largely confined to politically-affiliated clubs but the Church put on a number of top acts in a smaller, pub setting.
By the early eighties the Church became a meeting point for Bolton’s ‘New Romantics’ and later that same decade it became a gay pub after the landlord and landlady of the Railway on Great Moor Street moved to the Church.
Terry Whalebone took pictures of the Church in 2007 (see here and here) but the pub closed a few years later and was sold in 2012 for conversion into flats.
 Pubs Of Bolton 1800-2000, by Gordon Readyhough, published by Neil Richardson (2000).